I’m a stubborn programmer obsessed with learning about technology and software development and increasing my skill set. I believe in doing the best job that I can on every project. I think that the developer should put in the amount of work necessary to make any interface great, whether it’s a web service or a consumer or enterprise UI. I’m also a firm believer in unit testing where necessary, and keeping documentation and reference material up-to-date.
I knew that I wanted to work with computers when I took an introductory “computer literacy” course in junior high school and experienced the Commodore 64 for the first time.
Senior Site Reliability Engineer
2018 – Present
- Architect VPC environments
- Manage Kubernetes clusters in multiple environments to run SaaS platform as well as supporting software development activities.
- Create automation and integration for monitoring, logging, analysis, and continuous integration/delivery.
DWA NOVA LLC
2015 – 2017
- Built out new virtual environments using OpenStack to support media asset generation and rendering, using custom scripts and Terraform.
- Configured servers using Puppet Enterprise and Ansible.
- Created and maintained Docker images for installed software, utilizing both public and internal Docker registries.
- Built monitoring and metrics-gathering infrastructure using Sensu, Redis, RabbitMQ, Graphite, Grafana.
- Built log collection infrastructure using Elasticsearch, Logstash, and Kibana, with Filebeat and Journalbeat collectors.
- Created custom monitoring scripts and components to handle service dependencies and self-healing/self- remediation.
- Setup and used Jenkins jobs for software build and deployment to OpenShift clusters.
2010 – Present
- Started an independent Mac and iOS software company.
- Proelia: a table-top RPG encounter tracker for macOS.
- Horology: an iOS date/time calculator.
- Yawp: a fun, Viking-themed iOS client for the former social networking service App.net.
- Counsellor: a iOS app that provides search functionality for Dungeons and Dragons games.
- Initiative!: an iOS app for tracking RPG encounter sessions for table-top role-playing games.
2013 – 2015
- Part of a small team responsible for designing and developing a service platform to support social games based on DreamWorks Animation movies.
- Designed and developed microservices implementing: security, identity management, commerce, content, messaging, and integration with vendor services such as Apple Push Notifications and In-app Purchasing.
- Wrote unit and integration tests.
- Participated in code reviews and pair-programming.
- Created an iOS SDK used by client applications of this service platform.
- Wrote and reviewed design documentation.
- Wrote client documentation.
IT Software Developer
2009 – 2013
- My primary responsibilities were working on application integration components and web-based applications.
- Our primary web application is a resource management system for allocating artist and other creative personnel during movie production.
- Designed a V2 of the resource management application, including a new UI and updated frameworks.
- Migrated from Ant to Maven for application build and project management.
- Added unit tests.
- Documented and performed integration and functionality testing.
- Created SOAP web services to integrate with Oracle E-Business Suite HR data.
- Created REST APIs for Oracle EBS.
- Designed and implemented integration components for internal company LDAP and personnel databases.
- Implemented BPEL processes for integration with Oracle EBS.
Senior Platform Engineer
2005 – 2009
- Created internal tools and integration components to tie business applications together.
- Worked on customizations for our internal systems.
- Customized our internal Configuration Management Database, a system called Service-Now. I dealt primarily with extending the system and writing business rules to govern the system.
- Primary architect and developer for our internal vehicle publishing system that powered the Edmunds.com website, using Oracle BPEL and Enterprise Service Bus.
Senior Systems Administrator
2003 – 2005
- Managed external-facing MediaPlatform™ servers.
- Administered platform build processes and source code management systems.
- Designed media appliance for MediaPlatform™.
- Managed internal IT resources.
Senior Systems Administrator
2000 – 2003
- Managed the Tier 2 Technical Support team, who were responsible for application and operating system administration for our shared and dedicated hosting servers.
- Managed the Domain Name System servers and IP address allocation system for the company.
- El Toro High School, Diploma, Computer Science
- Self-taught, computer science concepts, programming, and administration
Programming Languages: Python, Shell, Swift, Objective-C, Java
Technology: Docker, Kubernetes, Amazon Web Services, OpenShift Container Platform, OpenStack, Git, Zabbix, Grafana, Kibana, Rancher
Concepts: Monitoring, Cloud computing, Software Development Lifecycle, Source code management, Agile methodologies, Container orchestration, Self-healing systems, Capacity planning, RESTful web services, API design
Available on request